Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Citadel Awaits



It's been a few weeks since 3.3 has hit. It has been an incredible patch. I am really liking the way Blizzard has decided to deal with loot. I think what keeps most people playing at the highest level is getting new loot. I know for me it gives me an incentive to get in there and become the best geared I can be. When I had last left Bladez he was geared in almost all 226 gear from Ulduar. I had stopped raiding and there was no real point in playing him because I had the best I could get without raiding full time. Now that the new patch came out I saw all this gear that I could get readily since Emblems of Triumph were dropping from heroics. Also I could get Emblems of Frost for even better gear but with a bit more restriction on how much I could get at a time. This is incredibly smart of Blizzard. I see myself logging on in the morning before I go to work just to get my heroic daily in before I set off to work.

That being said I absolutely love the new Dungeon Finder system. Being able to click one button and be instantly transported to a heroic dungeon with everyone knowing their assignments is great. No more days of searching through a list of no healers, 6 death knights 2 hunters a rogue tryping to put a group together is over. I've made it my personal challenge to finish every instance before my dungeon finder debuff wears off.

Ofcourse it wouldn't be a good patch without a full raid instance to defeat. Every time a new raid comes out I'm excited to see what new boss mechanics the raid team can come up with. My hard work paid off and I am in one of the top 5 guilds on the server as one of the tanks. I thought this would be almost impossible to do after being gone for so long. Most guilds have their tanks set since you only need about 3 of them out of 25 people. If you do get in you are probably gonna be benched if their regular guys show up. This usually means you keep falling behind on the gear curve and sitting out is never fun. I was prepared for it though but it hasn't really happened much.

I have just been very lucky when it comes to gear. In the first 25 man raid I ran the main tank already had the 264 plate tanking legs and the other tank didn't want it so I was able to upgrade my legs super fast. The second week I was in for ICC 25 man none of the guilds regular tanks were online. This is pretty surprising for a Tuesday since it is loot pinata day. The 3 tank initiates were the tanks for the night and it was raining tank gear. I lost the roll on the bracers but luckily the helm dropped off the second boss and I was able to snag that up. On top of that I got the shield, weapon, and cape out of the 10 mans. When 3.3 came out I was at 33k unbuffed health. By the time I got accepted to last hope I was at 40k health. Now with all these amazing upgrades I am at 44.5k health unbuffed at over 55k raid buffed.
The thing about gear though it sometimes feel likes overkill when you don't have anything that you need it for. 50k is not necessary for a heroic where he healer never even hits a button. Progression is what its all about. Icecrown is the final content of this expansion pack and as such the requirements are high. Bosses hit for over 30k, dps checks are high and healers have a lot to take care of. Luckily Last Hope succeeds in all these areas. We know how to coordinate well, how to move, and how to do our jobs while dealing with all the factors the boss throws at us.
The first 4 bosses are pretty unique but we make it look easy. Within an hour we clear them out as if we have been doing it for months. This last week the new plague wing opened up giving us 3 new bosses to try at. Festergut is supposed to be the new patchwerk. You have 5 minutes to burn the boss down while dealing with high healing and making sure everyone gets inoculated. DPS is where our guild shines at. I've heard this boss is incredibly difficult for most people but we killed him on our second attempt. Rotface is another story.
I've had the pleasure of playing the pivotal role of being the kiter of the big slimes. The fight isn't overly difficult in terms of execution. Everyone stand in the center of the room. If he turns and faces you then go through him so you don't get hit with slime spray. If you get a mutated injection run out to me and wait for it to combine with another ooze that I kite around the room. Its pretty simple especially at the beginning. The injection happens every 12 seconds and once 5 oozes combine they explode and the raid just has to make sure they don't get hit with it. The problem is that as the fight continues on the rate of mutated injection goes faster. At 30% it happens every 6 seconds so there are a ton of oozes and it gets chaotic and hard to control. We've had so many attempts where he is below 10% but ooze control is difficult and it ends up killing key people.
Next week we will be trying out the final boss which is Professor Putricide. This boss is supposed to be incredibly difficult and you only have 15 attempts on him per week. In 2 weeks we will have another wing open up and new bosses to take down. I am pretty excited to have a new home and new challenges that await. It'll be awesome to see what the citadel holds and what new loot awaits. My goal is to one day be at 60k health raid buffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment